Seattle To Be First Beta Market Using Devices made by Technology Enablers Elgato, Expway, Siano and Opanga
LAS VEGAS – January 9, 2012 – The Mobile500 Alliance today unveiled a breakthrough end-to-end solution that will enable its member broadcasters to build new revenue streams through Mobile DTV (MDTV). The goal is to make the solution available to Alliance member companies after beta launch and evaluation in Seattle.
The demonstration shown at 2012 International CES includes a Mobile500 application for iOS devices that supports audience measurement, ESG data, channel logos, interstitial ads and banner ads. Live recording and time shifting of over-the-air MDTV content will be included through DVR-like functionality built into the app.
Also included in the Mobile500 solution are new tuner devices, which are small adapter/dongles for iPads that will run a TV app from Elgato, incorporate an MDTV chip from Siano, and use Expway’s Mobile DTV middleware and audience measurement solution. At the local television station, Expway’s Electronic Service Guide (ESG) delivery server powers the MDTV head-end.
Audience measurement and the additional ad placements will enable Mobile500 member stations to generate new revenue streams by utilizing their broadcast airwaves. Subscription, pay-per-view, and targeted and interactive ads also will be part of the eventual MDTV offering as the Mobile500 solution is deployed.
The Mobile500 exhibit also will include Opanga Networks and its NetRover™ Mobile content distribution platform, which utilizes the consumer’s 3G/4G/Wi-Fi connection to pre-position movie and TV content into mobile device memory. Mobile500 will be working during the beta launch in Seattle to integrate Opanga’s functionality into the consumer offering from stations.
“We are really pleased that the Mobile500 Alliance has been able to pull together for CES 2012 an end-to-end solution for building a vibrant Mobile DTV business. We feel we have the right partners involved, companies whose combined experience in the commercial deployment of mobile television around the world will enable our member stations to launch an exciting new business model,” said Colleen Brown, chair of the Mobile500 Alliance board of directors and president and CEO of Fisher Communications in Seattle.
“We’re excited to work with the Mobile500 Alliance and our partners Siano and Expway to bring mobile TV to the iPad”, said Markus Fest, Elgato’s CEO. “Our EyeTV Mobile product is already a huge success in other parts of the world, and we can’t wait to see ATSC M/H launched successfully.”
The following is a list of partners in the project and their respective roles:
- -The Mobile500 Alliance is coordinating the CES demonstration as part of its overall mission to create Mobile DTV business opportunities for its member broadcasting companies.
- -Fisher Communications, Inc. is spearheading the demonstration and will lead the beta launch in Seattle on behalf of the Mobile500 Alliance, of which it is a member.
- -Sinclair Broadcast Group (SBG), also a Mobile500 member, will be providing multiple MDTV channels through KVMY-DT, one of its two stations in Las Vegas. KVMY-DT will utilize a multi-vendor platform.
- -Acrodyne Services, a subsidiary of SBG, is providing systems integration of the Mobile500 solution and installation at KVMY-DT.
MDTV Technology Enablers
- -Elgato provides the MDTV app that combines the Mobile500 user interface with an ATSC-M/H compliant video player.
- -Expway provides the Mobile DTV middleware and audience measurement for the devices, and its FastESG™ will handle the broadcast transmission of the EPG, banners and interstitial (pre-roll) ads, at the individual station level.
- -Siano provides adapters, based on their next-generation MDTV chipsets, which enable Apple iOS devices, including iPads and iPhones, to receive the MDTV programming and full range of services.
- -Broadcast Interactive Media (BIM) provides the TitanTV Electronic Program Guide (EPG) and feature-rich data listings for the demonstration.
Mobile Network Video Optimization
- -Opanga Networks brings their experience and products for distributing high quality mobile video without overburdening the cellular networks and will work with Mobile500 to integrate those products with the Mobile500 solution.
The Mobile500 Alliance is at booth #13447 in the Mobile DTV TechZone in Central Hall.